Ans: Classification: 1) Running repairs – carried out when the equipment has actually failed.
2) Trouble shooting – involves rectification of the defects by making temporary repair so that equipment is made get going on.
3) Preventive maintenance - advance actions have to be taken to ward off the future failure.
Factors on which ideal maintenance jugged :
1) Reliability of locomotive
2) Availability of locomotive
3) Overall cost of loco maintenance
Means to improve reliability Proper inspection, proper method of trouble shooting & repairs , proper technical investigation , suitable repair facilities
Means to improve availability Inspection schedule , co-ordination between maintenance and operating staff , coordination of work at shed , availability of standby and quality spares