Following points are considered while selecting site for thermal power station:-
1. Distance from coal mines :- The power plant should be located near the coal mines, to reduce cost of transportation.
2. Availability of Water :- Plant should be located near large water reservoir, lake, river or ocean as water is as good as secondary fuel.
3. Distance from populated area:- As TPP produces air pollution, PP should be located away from populated area.
4. Easy access:- There should be easy access towards site of power plant for transportation of construction material, machinery, equipment, man power, fuel etc.
5.Near Load Centre:- Power Plant should be located near load center to reduce transmission cost & Losses in transmission line.
6. Availability of land :- Sufficient large space should be available to build the power plant, for storage of coal, for storage of ash, for staff quarters and also for Future expansion of the power plant.
7. Condition of land soil:- The land should have high bearing capacity for better foundation of machinery, equipment and buildings. Also, the plant should be constructed on plane land.
8. Cost of land :- Cost of land should be less to reduce capital cost of power plant.
9. Away from airport:- As height of chimney is very high, it should be located away from airport.
10. Earthquake:- Area should be free from earthquake and other natural hazards.
11. Availability of labour:- Skilled and unskilled labour should be available nearby.