Following are the main properties of cables:
1. Stranded Conductor: The conductor used for cable should be stranded specially for large size of cable because,
To increase the flexibility of cable
For easy handling of cable
For easy storage cable.
2. Annealed Conductor: Annealed conductor should be used to become conductor soft.
3. Tinned conductor:- Tinned conductor should be used so that conductor will not stick with insulation.
4. Cross Section Of Conductor: Cross Section Of Conductor should be proportional to magnitude of current.
5. Insulation Thickness: The insulation thickness provided to cable should be proportional to magnitude of voltage. To give high degree of safety and reliability. Thickness of insulation α Magnitude of voltage
6. Mechanical Protection: Especially underground cable should be provided with mechanical protection (armouring). So that it will withstand against rough handling and mechanical injury.
7. Life: The material used for cable should have long life.