Following are requirements or properties of the line supports used in transmission and distribution.
1. High mechanical strength:-
It should have high mechanical strength to withstand against -
Load of fabrication
Weight of Insulator
Weight of conductor etc.
2. Light in weight:-
It should be light in weight to reduce-
Handling, loading, unloading cost and
3. Effect of atmospheric conditions: It should be withstand even at bad atmospheric condition.
4. High resistance to corrosion: It should have high resistance to corrosion to avoid rusting.
5. Initial & Maintenance cost: It should be less.
6. Easy access: It should be easily accessible for wireman for line work and maintenance work. or They must be easily accessible for point and erection of line conductors
7. Life: It should have longer life.
8. Appearance: It should have good appearance or They must be of pleasing shape