The disadvantages of the hydroelectric power plant are as follows :
- The hydroelectric power plant can be developed only where the large quantity of water is available.
- The hydroelectric power plant cannot be used where there is lack of water supply.
- Dams may fail which may cause flooding.
- The capital cost of the generator is high.
- The distance between the Hydroelectric power plant and load center is more so the longer transmission line is required which increases costs.
- Initial civil engineering costs may be high.
These are some disadvantages of the hydroelectric power plant.